Assoc. Professor Dr. Byron Mataragas
Associate Professor Byron Matarangas posseses 20 years of experience as a foreign policy advisor, diplomat, and teaching and research. Professor Matarangas holds PhD in Law from University of Paris.
Selected professional highlights of Professor Matarangas are presented below:
• Legal advisor at Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
• Diplomat for the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
• Secretary General of the Executive Committee of the Mediterranean Games.
• Chief of Cabinet of Minister of Culture of Greece;
• International experience in teaching for numerous universities such as Bahcesehir University, Pandion University, University of Athens, École Supérieure de Gestion de Paris, and New York University in Athens.
List of selected publications of Professor Matarangas are presented below:
• The Olympic Truce. A proposal – contribution to the upgrade of the Olympic Ideal, in Greek, in: Tessa Doulkeri (Editor), Sports, Society and Mass Media: The case of Olympic Games, Athens 2004, Papazisi, Athens, 2007, Volume 1, pp. 107-124,(ISBN:978-960-02-2076-6) Volume 2, p. 908, (Abstract in English) pp. 930-931,(ISBN:978-960-02-2081-0).
• The institutional framework for the cooperation in the restitution of objects of cultural property, in English, in: THE PARTHENON, The repatriation of the sculptures, I.Sideris, Athens, 2004,pp.279-281,(ISBN:960-08-0332-3).
• Des enfants appartenant aux minorités ou aux populations autochtones. L’ article 30 de la Convention des Nations Unies relative aux droits de l’enfant du 20 Novembre 1989, in French, in: Annuaire International des Droits de l’ Homme, Volume II, 2007, pp. 529-571,(ISSN :1790-7624 ANT.N.SAKKOULAS), (ISBN :978-2-8027-2500-8 BRUYLANT).
• The sixth official trip of a Greek Prime Minister to Turkey and the evolution of bilateral relations, in Greek, in: Diethnis kai Evropaiki Politiki, April-June 2008, Nr. 10, Papazisi, Athens, pp. 286-306,(ISSN:1790-7519).
• The establishment of the Turkish Republic and the Turkish nation building,
in Greek,in:Geostratigiki,June – December 2009,Nr.17,Institute of Defence Analyses, Ministry of National Defence of the Hellenic Republic,Athens,pp.7- 56.
• The Local Administration in the Turkish Republic and the municipal elections of 2009, in Greek, in: Review of Decentralization, Local Administration and Regional Development, Athens, 1st Part, Nr.65, July-September 2011, pp. 80-89. 2nd Part, Nr.66, October-November 2011, pp. 29-44.
• The Turkish General Elections of 12 June 2011, in Greek, in: Diethnis kai Evropaiki Politiki, November 2011-February 2012, Nr. 24, Papazisi, Athens, pp. 277-294, (ISSN: 1790-7519).
• Anatomy of the Constitutional Court’s judgement on the election of the eleventh President of the Republic of Turkey, in Greek, in: To Syntagma, 3/2011,July- September 2011,Ant. Sakkoulas, pp.553-587,(ISSN: 1105-9397).
• The existence and characterization of a minority as racial, national, religious or linguistic. Considerations on the decision of the European Court of Human Rights in the case “ Xanthis’ Turkish Union and others v.Greece”, in Greek, in: Revue Hellenique des Droits de l’ Homme, Vol.XIV, No 55/2012, Ant. Sakkoulas, pp.633-673,(ISSN:1108-4456).
• Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v.Italy: Greece intervening), Judgement of the International Court of Justice, 3 February 2012, in Greek, in: NOMIKO VIMA, May 2013, Vol.61, Athens Bar Association, pp.920-934,(ISSN:1792-6556).
PUBLICATIONS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
• The Greek minority in Turkey on the occasion of the 80th Anniversary of the Lausanne Treaty (1923-2003), in Greek, in: Proceedings of Conference held by E.DIA.M.M.E., University of Crete, Rethymno, 2004, Volume 1, pp. 167-179,(ISBN:960-87857-5-8).
• Turkey’s involvement in the Cyprus issue, in Greek, in: Proceedings of the Conference held by the Foundation of International Legal Studies and the University of Cyprus, Vol.24, Sakkoulas,2011,pp.259-281,(ISBN:978-960-445-709-0).
• The institutional framework for the cooperation on the restitution of objects of cultural property, in Greek, in: Proceedings of the Conference held by the Foundation of International Legal Studies, the National and Capodistrian University of Athens, the New Acropolis Museum and the Council of Greeks living Abroad, Vol. 25, Sakkoulas, 2011, pp.187-224.
• European Public Law Center (EPLC) (Athens, September 13 – 14, 2006) on Good Governance. I presented a paper on «Fundamental Rights in the European Union».
• European Public Law Center (EPLC) (Komotini, April 20-21, 2007) on The Need for Constitutional Revision in the Balkan and Black Sea Countries. I presented a paper on «the Constitutional Reforms in Turkey (2001-2005) and the strengthening of democratization and the respect for Human Rights».
Consultation hours: By appointment