Frequently asked questions
1. How are professors titles obtained?
Academic titles are obtained on the basis of the Nova Univerza Habilitation Regulation based on the status of an associate member of ESLG College. The Habilitation Regulation provides much stricter criteria, both quantitatively and qualitatively, in terms of publications and other criteria than even the University of Prishtina as the eldest university in Kosovo.
The comparison between quality standards for promotion to higher academic titles between ESLG and public universities is as follows:
- 3 impact factor peer-to-peer review publications are required for Assistant Professor at College ESLG/Nova Univerza versus 1 publication at public universities in Kosovo;
- 7 impact factor peer-to-peer review publications are required for Associate Professor at College ESLG/Nova Univerza versus 3 publications at public univestities in Kosovo;
- 14 impact factor peer-to-peer review publications are required for Full Professor at College ESLG/Nova Univerza versus 5 publications at public universities in Kosovo;
Under Habilitation Rules, pedagogical skills are given also important weight and are linked with student satisfaction surveys. Student's voice is very important in assigning points to the candidate under pedagogical activity.
Academic staff is also given sufficient say to develop the advancement plan at College ESLG. This takes place via Individual Development Plan of each professor, in which professor outlines the goals for further development in pedagogy, research, and innovation, which takes place after an individual Self-Appraisal of Staff.
The habilitation and obtaining of titles is done by the Senate of New University and the habilitated professors of ESLG have the right to teach without any problems in the whole Republic of Slovenia and everywhere in Europe.
2. What is the ESLG policy for staff development?
- Engagement of teaching assistants by the best bachelor students;
- Engaging junior teaching staff from the best graduates of the master program;
- Encouraging and sponsoring the teaching staff of the College to pursue doctoral studies at New University in the doctoral program in real estate management;
- After graduating from doctoral studies, ESLG College initiates the post-doctoral habilitation procedure;
- Based on the human resource compensation plan, a difference is implemented in the compensation plan according to the academic titles in order to positively reinforce the promotion to higher academic titles;
- Promoting professors with higher academic titles to management positions within the College;
- Advancement of associate professors to full professors and promotion of assistant professors to associate professors;
- Doctoral lecturers are promoted to assistant professors;
- The habilitated ESLG professors can serve as doctoral mentors for doctoral candidates from Kosovo studying at Nova Univerza in the field of real estate management.
3. How does the staff develop their career development expectations within ESLG?
Habilitation based on New University Habilitation Regulation and obtaining of international academic title with which staff can freely teach anywhere in Europe is a motivation tool for career development and advancement for both local and international staff.
Chairwoman of the Habilitation Commission and Head of Research of New University Prof.Dr. Alenka Temeljotov Salaj is a full professor and head of the Department of Facility Management at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology.
4. What platforms are used in the teaching process?
Moodle, E-library and recently Coursera for Campus. Also the scientific databases JSTOR, Springer and EBSCO that can be accessed through UBT and Nova Univerza serve as teaching platforms based on research-based teaching in the master program.
5. Are there procedures for teaching staff for teaching?
Yes, the staff is trained in various fields that are identified with the self-assessments of the achievement of learning outcomes conducted by the professors and the development plan of the staff.
The staff has been trained in research-based teaching, teaching based on achievement of learning outcomes and Socratic teaching.
Junior staff are also trained at SPSS to incorporate research into teaching.
6. Does ESLG staff offer student consultations?
YES. Consultations by full-time staff are carried out at certain times during the week while by part-time staff by appointment. All consultation schedules are presented online on the website of ESLG at the landing pages for each professor.
7. What is the teaching strategy?
Research-based teaching and teaching based on educational outcomes with special emphasis on the development of social accountability in students and development of personality of high academic and research integrity in current students and graduates.
8. What is the salary of a professor at ESLG? Do professors receive fixed or variable salaries, depending on the contract?
The salary of professors at ESLG is competitive and for full-time professors it is fixed and varies depending on the academic title. Also for part-time staff the compensation is regulated by the Regulation on Compensation of Academic Staff.
9. Do all teachers need to have a PhD to teach in the program?
In the master's program yes, while in the bachelor's degree they can also be lecturers with master's degrees. However, even in bachelor's degree most ECTS credits are covered by doctoral staff.
10. Do you accept retired professors? If so, how long does their contract last?
Retired professors have the status of Professor Emeritus and contribute to the age diversity that ESLG College pursues meticulously in addition to gender and ethnic diversity. They are given a course to teach and in most cases serve as quality advisors, advisors to junior lecturers in the implementation of curricula, participate in College committees and in the examination of diploma theses.
11. Is the full-time or part-time staff (full time / part time), what are the statistics regarding this?
Here are some key facts:
• 80% of ECTS credits at the bachelor level are covered by staff with regular employment;
• 82% of ECTS credits at the master's level are covered by staff with regular employment;
12. Is full-time staff allowed to work at other universities?
Only UBT and Nova Universities are allowed.
13. What is the staff workload policy?
Staff workload is regulated by Staff Workload Policy. Based on this policy, senior staff is given more workload in research while junior staff is given more workload in teaching.
All full-time academic staff are tenure staff with excellent opportunities to be promoted to higher academic titles.
The staff, which is engaged in meaningful research activities resulting in publications with international reviews, does not give more than nine hours of lectures per week per semester, which is the same workload as professors have in renowned universities such as Harvard University and MIT.
The academic staff who are engaged in research, curriculum review and other administrative assignments teach 6 hours of lectures per week per semester.
The other junior staff does not teach more than 12 hours of lectures per week.
14. What is the staff selection procedure?
The procedures for full-time and part-time faculty selection are as follows:
• After the Board has approved a faculty position, the Head of Department or Program Director will establish the staff selection committee;
• The Head of Department or Program Director shall select the faculty members with expertise in the subject matter area ore similar related areas;
• The Human Resources Officer will review the composition of committees and see whether committee members have experience in staff selection. If not, the HR Officer shall train the committee members before they assume their roles for the first time;
• The Staff Selection Committee shall consist of minimum three and maximum five voting members;
• The Human Resources Officer shall serve as an advisor to the Staff Selection Committee regarding equal opportunity.
The Faculty Hiring Procedure shall be as follows:
- Preparation of Vacancy Announcement
- Advertisement of the position
- Preliminary review of applications
- Review by the Dean and Rector
- Recommendation to Management Board;
- Trial lecture for those promoted to Assistant Professors;